Thursday, August 23, 2012

I'm Back

Much has happened since I last posted on this Blog.  I just moved back to Oklahoma after living in Maine for a while.  I was completely off the Internet for about 6 months.  My new girlfriend has an autistic son and he kicked my laptop over and broke the fan.  I put off fixing my laptop until I got back to Oklahoma and had the Internet up here.  We got here in December of 2011 and couldn't get AT&T to turn on the DSL until August of 2012.  A $13 fan fixed my laptop and I'm back on line.

I am really impressed with Sabayon 9.  I upgraded my laptop from 7 to 9 with out much of a hitch.  The only thing that didn't work was Compiz, so I set it up to run stand alone.  What most impresses me about Sabayon 9 is the Rigo  Application Browser.  It is a search style interface.  Just type in the package you are looking for, choose it from the results and install.  It is faster and more responsive than Sulfur.

(click to enlarge)

Rigo Application Browser on KDE 4.9 Sabayon 9

I am also playing around with Wayland. Gentoo has the development libraries in Portage. However, there is no build for Weston.  Probably because there are several build steps, and I'm sure you would break an existing system to install it at this point.  So, I've set up a clean install of Gentoo in a Virtual Box.  Then I installed Wayland from Portage.  I setup Apache and Git.  Then I downloaded all the projects required to build Weston, Wayland Client Demos and the Wayland ready Xserver.

Now it's just a matter of writting ebuilds to install them and test them.  I hope I can get KMS and DRM2 to run with the guest drivers.  Vbox had a 3D acceleration option and Wayland will work with a software rendering driver, so hopefully I can jig that up.  If not, I'll just have to install it all on a live USB stick and install it from the repos in my vbox....If you would like to know more about that or get involved, click here.

Wish me luck....

No comments:

Post a Comment